Saturday 21 March 2015

Creamy cheese burgers

Sometimes my kids ask for the most ridiculous things. The first ray of sunshine is seen on a winter’s day and they’re demanding to get the paddling pool out and eat ice cream. They wake up and ask for chocolate for breakfast. They’re about to go to bed and they want to go to soft play, RIGHT NOW. They want to get out of the car because they’re bored when we’re in the middle of the M1.

I’ve sometimes struggled with the idea that God wants us to pray “according to his will”. So we pray in line with his promises and his will, and he will answer our prayers; isn’t that a little… narrow-minded? True, I’ve experienced the wonderful fulfilment of these promises over the years. There’s no doubt about that. I’ve prayed for patience; I’ve been given patience. I’ve prayed to be enabled to pray more; He’s answered. I’ve asked for strength and grace to get through a tough day with the children; He never fails. These have been prayers “according to His will”.

But I admit that I’ve struggled to enjoy this facet of our Heavenly Father at times. I’ve found it difficult to feel joy that my prayer requests must be constrained by His will and not mine.

Today God gave me a deeper, sweeter understanding of this.

I was walking with my 3-year-old last week and she said,

“Mumma, at Christmas we had creamy cheese burgers.”
“Creamy cheese burgers? Really?” [I rack my brain to translate before the rage ensues]
“Creamy cheese burgers. And Auntie Beth and Uncle Josh were here.”
“Ohhhhhh. Cream cheese bagels!”
“Yeah. Can we have them next Christmas?”
“Sure. We can have them any time. I’ll get some next week!”

So today we all had “creamy cheese burgers” for breakfast. And it was a joy to be able to give my daughter something she had asked for, that I was totally able and happy to give. Cream cheese and bagels are pretty healthy foods that will help them grow and give them energy. They’re good for breakfast. They’re not expensive (especially not at Aldi). We all enjoy them.

It was a pleasure to answer her request, because it fitted with all my desires to give my children the best, based on what I know is good for them.

And that made me realise: praying in accordance with God’s will is not some narcissistic, arbitrary rule set in place to restrict us. Praying in accordance with God’s will means asking for things that He loves to give us, because they are good for us and He knows they are best. And that in itself brings him glory, because it magnifies his beautiful, powerful character.

Sometimes we ask for chocolate cake for breakfast – stuff that’s not even good for us. Sometimes we ask to get out of a moving car and he graciously says “no”. Sometimes we ask for ice cream on a hot day, and He gives it to us, because He loves to surprise us with His good gifts. Sometimes He gives when we haven’t even asked for it.  And sometimes, we ask for creamy cheese burgers, and He always says “yes”. And I think I understand a bit more of our Heavenly Father today thanks to a 3-year-olds innocent request.

Luke 11:11-13
“What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent;  or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment